- Spa N.S. is a fully vertical (Junior Infants to 6th Class) co-educational school.
- Spa National School has in excess of 200 pupils with a teaching staff of 11 full time teachers. The school also has a secretary and a fulltime caretaker.
- The School secretary is available from 8.50 a.m. to 12.50 p.m. every day.
- At present in Spa N.S. there are eight mainstream classes. There is also a support team of teachers who work with children who have been assessed by the Department of Education as needing additional resource teaching and children identified by teachers as needing additional support.
- Learning support teachers work with designated pupils in the mainstream class alongside class teacher, as well as occasionally on a withdrawal basis.
- All school policies are available to parents from the school office.
- School starts at 9.00 a.m. and ends at 2.40 p.m. Morning breaks are from 10.30 a.m. to 10.45 a.m. Lunch-time breaks are from 12.15 p.m. to 12.45 p.m.
- Classes are timetabled for P.E. in the School Hall/Playing Field.
- Classes are timetabled for Music in the School Hall. Every class has a 30 minute lesson with specialist music teacher Mrs. Ann O Mahony every week.
- Swimming Lessons are provided for pupils in Banna Leisure Centre during the school year.
- Each class has a well stocked Library. The school has plans to develop a whole school library in the near future.
- Religion Classes are timetabled for each day. The Alive-O programme is followed. The school chaplain, Fr Mulvihill, visits from time to time. Any child who does not partake in religious instruction can remain in the room having work assigned to them during this time or can move to another room for this lesson and complete the assigned work there.
- Learning beyond the Classroom. Spa N.S, is proud of its commitment to and participation in a wide range of extracurricular activities organised for pupils outside of teaching hours. Please check out our School Activities and After School Clubs pages for more details.
- Each classroom is equipped with its own laptop, computers, interactive whiteboard, internet access and in class educational software.
- Spa N.S. opened its new state of the art computer and language laboratory in 2013. All classes are timetabled to visit the room for lessons.
- All classes are taught lessons from the ‘Stay Safe’ programme at the beginning of every school year.
- We are very lucky to have a hugely supportive and hard working Parents Association in Spa N.S. All parents are welcome to visit the Association’s meetings on the first Wednesday of every month.
- Parents/Guardians must call to the school office before collecting their child for various appointments during school day.
- All pupils are expected to provide a note from their parents explaining absence and late attendances.
- Fire Drills: A fire drill takes place in our school on a regular basis.
- A copy of School calendar is issued to each family at the start of each school year.
- Spa N.S. has been a ‘Health Promoting School for quite a number of years. A Healthy Eating Policy is operated at Spa N.S. The Health Promotion Committee organise activities every year to reinforce the importance of Health Education.
- Spa N.S. is a recipient of the prestigious Green Flag. Our Green School Committee are currently working towards attaining the school’s second Green Flag.
- Our very own ‘Gáirdín Scoile’ was built in April 2012 by our hardworking Garden Committee. Each class visits the garden regularly and has responsibility for planting, growing and harvesting different vegetables.
- In March 2013, Spa N.S. became the first school in North Kerry to be awarded the ‘Active Flag’ The Active School Committee deserve great credit for the fantastic work they have done with all members of the school community to attain this National Award.
- Here are the school contact details.
Telephone: (066) 7136618
Fax: (066) 7136619
E Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org