Spa N.S. is an active learning community. This community is made up of pupils, staff, the Board of Management and the parents of children in the school. All of these equal stakeholders have a strong interest in the school and work to ensure that the connections between all of the partners are clear and effective. All of these school members recognise that positive relationships between the partners depend on good communication between them. Our School will work best when everyone is working together. Our school motto is ‘Ní neart go cur le chéile!’(Strength in Unity)
Spa N.S. is proud to have a very hardworking and supportive Parents Association. This association is the structure through which our parents can work together for the best possible education for their children. Spa N.S. Parents Association works with the Principal, staff and the Board of Management to build effective partnership between home and school. Where effective partnership exists between home and school, the benefits are clear:
- children learn more, behave better and are happier at school.
- Teachers are more effective when they are supported by parents.
In addition, where there is an effective Parent Association in the school:
- Parents can enjoy the support of other parents
- Parents are enabled to meaningfully support the aims of the school.
All parents of children in Spa N.S. are members of the Parent Association. These parents elect a committee to work on their behalf from one year to the next. In Spa N.S., the parents association meets in the school on the first Wednesday of every month and all parents are welcome to come along and attend.
The main aims of the Parent Association
- To enable parents to play a meaningful role in supporting the aims & objectivesof the school.
- To ensure parents are meaningfully consulted in the development of relevant school policies.
- To ensure that parents, Board of Management, Principal & staff work together to ensure the smooth operation of the school by adhering to agreed policies and procedures.
- To enable parents to contribute to an enhanced learning environment for pupils.
- To ensure that the work of the whole school community is at all times focused on the collective needs of all the children in the school.
- To identify and make available the skills and talents of individual parents that may be valuable to the school.
In Spa N.S. the parents association are extremely supportive of the day to day work in the school. They are involved in a wide variety of activities every year including
- providing opportunities for parents to meet informally and learn from each other’s experiences and welcoming new parents both to the locality and the school
- organising events where parents, teachers and board members can meet and get to know one another
- organising guest speakers to address parents.
- working in partnership with the principal and teachers in the development and review of school policies, such as the anti-bullying policy, code of behaviour etc.
- supporting the school with the organisation of special events e.g Communion, Confirmation, Graduation, Christmas concerts and shows
- working with the principal in maintaining a parents’ page on the school website
- linking with local organisations such as health boards and county councils to promote positive communication and partnership
- fundraising, in consultation with the Principal and Board of Management. The recent quiz night was tremendous success. The annual sponsored walk along the shore line of Tralee Bay to Blennerville is a huge favourite with all families in the school as well.
- supporting the Principal and staff with projects such as the Green Schools, Garden Club, and Active Schools Committees
- supporting the Principal and staff with specific schemes such as shared reading
- supporting school projects that require local knowledge e.g. local history, a grandparent / parent sharing their story of life in earlier times
- providing practical assistance when requested at certain times of the school year e.g. changing classroom furniture, updating inventories of library books, school plays, educational tours etc.
The present Parents Association is always looking for more parents to get involved. The current officers are
Joint Chairpersons: Amanda Bentley Curran & Angela Donnellan
Secretary: Deirdre Falvey
Treasurer: Berna Waldron
If you would like to get involved please contact Mary Brennan, our school secretary on 066 7136618 and she will pass on the officers contact details to you!
Would you like that wrapped Sir?
Pancake Party Time in Spa N.S.
Helping with our After School Irish Club Healthy Food Workshop Maura gives some gardening advice! Getting ready for the 'Santa Shop' Members of the Parents Association